Proprietary Dependencies

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM
As long as you are doing a re-write, I suggest that you try to remove as many proprietary dependencies as possible. The more proprietary dependencies you have, the less open source your project actually is. Ubuntu GNU/LInux is my main operating system and Mac is my secondary operating system. I use Windows out of necessity but I very much dislike using it. I would like to be able to run this outside of Windows.
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM

alexeagar wrote:
The more proprietary dependencies you have, the less open source your project actually is.

You have an interesting definition of open source, which I do not share. Since clerks office computers are my target platform and they all have Windows running on them (I believe), I find that building on Windows-based technologies is an appropriate dependency. The .NET Framework, and in particular the WPF that the rewrite will be based on, I anticipate will allow me to be more productive at writing an easy-to-use application in less time and with less bugs. Being able to run on Linux, which most clerks will have never even seen much less prefer, is not worth the extra effort to write this software for at this point.
Jan 14, 2008 at 8:50 AM
Thanks for taking the time to consider and reply to my suggestion. It's not a big deal, just my personal preference and it doesn't affect the usefulness of the program.
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM
No problem.

But hey, any other features you'd like to see added in an upcoming version, by all means are welcome. This program is not getting much of my time lately, unfortunately, so I can't make any promises, but I'd like to enhance it in a few key areas at least that several people have asked about.